The fall weather has been extremely mild, which may fool many of us into becoming content with putting off the annual task of preparing patios and decks for the approaching winter season. Some might feel winterizing outdoor living spaces at this time is a little premature.
At DiSabatino Landscaping, we strongly suggest that now is the perfect time to prepare your patio for winter before the morning frost sets in. Take the time to do a thorough inspection and assessment of your patios, driveways and walkways to protect them from the freeze/thaw cycles sure to be heading our way soon.
As the saying goes; “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”, meaning it is easier to stop something from happening in the first place than to repair the damage after it happens.
Properly preparing your hard outdoor surfaces serves to protect and extend their life span, saving you money and time. With that in mind, check out our suggested tip on preparing your patio for winter.
5 Tips for Preparing your Patio for Winter:
- Sweep and wash off debris and leaves to prevent stains on your patios and walkways (
- Fill any gaps in the joints with cement or polysand
- Seal all masonry patios, driveways and walkways to prevent the ice and salt from damaging them
- Ensure that the edges of your patio are backfilled (no soil erosion) to prevent water from pooling and freezing up to and under the patio causing the stone or pavers to lift
- Ensure all gutters and downspouts are clear, properly sealed and directed away from masonry surfaces in order to avoid freeze or chip from the ice
Ultimately, spending the time and effort to keep your patio and other masonry surfaces looking their best will keep you from early replacement and will help to maintain your home’s future resale value.