Autumn is a perfect time to take time and evaluate the condition of your lawn. Proper fall landscaping maintenance will not only guarantee your terrain will be ready to face harsh winter weather ahead. It will also help you reap the benefits come spring.
Our DiSabatino Landscapers and Design Specialists are always here to answer any landscaping questions you may have. If you’re a beginner, here are some tips for the best fall landscaping maintenance practices:
5 Fall Landscaping Maintenance Tips for Beginners
- Mulch – Plants love fall mulching because it helps protect their roots from frost and retain moisture during a cold and dry winter. Just spread 2-3 inches of fresh mulch in your garden, around trees and shrubs.
- Pruning – If you have any perennials, you probably noticed that they begin to look a tad tired and faded in the fall. It’s time to cut them back!
- Tree Care – Well-cared-for trees are attractive and can add considerable value to your property. Make sure to consult with tree experts to help evaluate possible tree hazards and remove them before winter storm season is here.
- Lawn Aeriation – Perforating the soil with small holes to allow air, water and nutrients to penetrate the grass root will help the roots grow deeply and produce a stronger, more vigorous lawn. The main reason for aerating is to alleviate soil compaction.
- Planting – The cooler temperatures are easier on new plantings and the soil still warm, allowing roots to grow until the ground begins to freeze. Now is a great time to plant trees, shrubs, perennials, spring blooming bulbs, cold season vegetables and turf grass.
If you are ready to take your fall landscaping to the next level, talk with one of our landscape design specialist at DiSabatino Landscaping. We can quickly and expertly install fall plantings, outdoor fire pits and even custom decks that will enhance your life for years to come.
DiSabatino Landscapers have years of experience to help you create landscaping for your home that adds beauty year-round. Get in touch if you need help!
SOME RELATED ARTICLES:
302-764-0408 | DiSabatinoInc.com
The Landscape Experts
DiSabatino Landscaping is Delaware’s #1 Hardscape and Landscape Specialist. Give us a call today! 302-764-0408
Why Plant Culture and Environment is Important for Plant Health
A healthy plant, planted correctly in the right location, is more likely to remain healthy and less susceptible to attack by disease or insects.
Healthy gardens and landscapes start not only with healthy plants but also with healthy soil and environments. Quality soil and mulch, with proper watering regimes for new (and sometimes established) plants play important parts of keeping plants healthy and thriving. Good management of the landscape is essential, especially in the soil and root systems of plants. Maintenance, plus fertilizing, pruning and making other adjustment as conditions change, is also essential.
Check out our ‘Plant Health Care Programs and/or Preservation’ suggestions to get your plants lush and healthy.
4 Steps to Optimal Plant Health for Your Landscaping:
1) Soil Testing: determines proper mode of action.
2 )Fertilizing Program: Spring – macro-element based (N-P-K); Summer – granular application for mid-season improvements; Fall – micro-element based (iron, calcium, sulfur and mycorrhizae/humates).
3) Air Spading for root systems (if necessary): De-compacts soil, root collar excavations, girdling root removals and Amendments (compost/organic matter) may be added for additional soil improvement.
4)Pest Management Applications: This should be for plants that still exhibit insect problems or trees that are susceptible to damaging invasive pests/disease. Many applications require more than one for the treatment to be effective. A goal should be to use a minimal risk treatment (cultural practices, oils, soaps, beneficial insects) before applying conventional insecticides/fungicides. However, in many instances, a zero or minimal-tolerance for pests and disease, would be considered grounds for treatment; this means, depending on the extent or severity of the infestation/or disease, that immediate action should be taken to remedy a solution.
DiSabatino Landscaping is Delaware’s #1 Hardscape and Landscape Specialist. We can design an outdoor living environment that will add quality to your life and value to your home. Give us a call today! 302-764-0480