With all the artic weather that has hit our area these past few weeks, it may be hard to imagine that spring is upon the horizon. Just as the sun surely rises, so will the sunny warmer days of spring and summer be here soon.
That is why we thought a little talk about improving your landscaping this spring might be helpful for planning some improvements to enhance your home’s curb appeal.
10 Landscaping Improvements to Make this Spring:
1) Plan your landscape: Well before you break ground, it is important to plan your landscaping project. Are you going to hire a professional landscaper? Might as well get them involve from the beginning, as their knowledge and expertise will be a big help. Plan for the types of plants you would like to grow, the layout and what you need to complete the tasks. This will make your landscaping endeavor significantly easier in the end.
2) Know Your Options: The geographic location of your home should play a big part in landscaping decisions. Choosing plants according to the climate of your yard is crucial. If your yard is full of mature trees, you will want to select plants that thrive in shade. While a more open landscape will make those plants that thrive in sunny conditions a better option.
3) Give Plants Room to Grow: Most plants have an estimated maturity height and width. Consider a plant will grow over time in order to space it properly and place in best area for growth.
4) Know Your Pests: Familiarize yourself with the pests in your neighborhood so that you can plan for ways to protect your landscape from them. Insecticides, wire mesh or fencing can keep wildlife and insects from destroying your new plantings. Your local nursery or department store should be able to help you find the tools you need.Consider Soil Conditions: The quality of the soil used will play a big part of your landscaping efforts. Adding mulch to your plantings not only adds to aesthetics, it will also help maintain the soil.
5) Consider Maintenance Needs: If you are not planning on spending the time or hiring someone to maintain your plantings, select plants that are lower maintenance to keep your landscape looking nice. Consider placing flowers in planters to add color and texture to the landscape while cutting back on need to weed.
6) Style Your Landscape to Compliment Your Home: The specific style of your home needs considered when selecting plantings. A traditional style home with landscape that flourishes with sunlight is conducive to flowering plants and shrub, while a rustic or modern home might look better with cacti or ornamental grass.
7) Use Landscape Rocks: Rocks can provide a natural, textural element to any landscape and a great way to create focal points. Better yet, rocks are very easy to maintain.
8) Make a Blueprint: Once the types of plants are selected, map it out. Items such as walkways or decorative elements need to be added in order to see how the landscape project will work and the materials you need.
9) Timing is Everything: Since many plants respond better when planted during a particular time of year, you’ll want to plan for that to give them every chance of flourishing year over year.
10) Spy on Your Neighbors: Look around your neighborhood to see what is working for them as a guide to what might work well for your landscape, as well. Talk with a local nursery to get professional advice on what types of obstacles or what is native to your area.
DiSabatino Landscaping is Delaware’s #1 Hardscape and Landscape Specialist. We can help build an outdoor living area that will have you enjoying the great outdoors in style! Give us a call today! 302-764-0408
With every year there comes change, improvement and trends to access. At DiSabatino Landscaping we are always looking to learn new things and explore our creativity in order to deliver the best landscaping product or service to our clientele.
With that in mind, we’ve come up with a list of landscaping and outdoor living trends to look out for and consider this year.
17 Landscape Trends for 2019:
1) Younger customers: As I get older, everyone else starts to look younger. Over my many years in the landscaping business, I have notice that we are getting a large amount of millennials contacting us for major landscaping and hardscaping projects.
2) Integrating technology: Landscaping companies are utilizing all sorts of technology to the benefit of their clientele. Whether it is the use of a drafting program during the design and build stage, retractable awnings or solar powered lighting; expect increased integration of technology.
3) Battery-powered equipment: Cordless-electric outdoor power equipment has gained more power and dependability to the point that is becoming a formidable competitor of gas-powered equipment. Keep in mind when purchasing several pieces of battery operated lawn tools that it might make sense to stick with the same brand so you can use the same battery for several different pieces of equipment.
4) Low-maintenance landscapes: People are working longer hours and looking for ways to cut back on home and outdoor maintenance. Low-maintenance plantings, cutting back on the amount of grass you must mow and installing automatic irrigation systems are just a few of the low-maintenance landscaping strategies you can take to lessen your workload.
5) Pollinator gardens: Many gardeners are stepping up to the plate to protect our native bee species whose population has greatly declined due to pesticides, habitat loss or other ecological changes. Create pollinator gardens with the best bee plants and nesting habitats according to the particular native species you are trying to help.
6) Asymmetrical design: Abstract landscaping or asymmetrical design is key to creating landscaping results that are pleasing, artistic and free form. This gives a more natural and relaxed impression that is less dependent on the shape of your garden and more concentrated on creating unity through the use of a variety of elements such as rocks, plant and décor.
7) Secluded spaces: Secluded Garden Spots or garden rooms are a great way to build an outdoor sanctuary to escape the everyday stress of life. A quiet place to sit and ponder or read can be soothing and reinvigorating.
8) Creating a “staycation” spot: More and more families are creating an outdoor oasis in their backyard where they can enjoy each other’s company, nature and extend the square footage of their home. Creating outdoor kitchens, dining areas, recreation or living areas is a great way to have a place to staycation every weekend!
9) Making backyard structures focal points: The ambience of sharing a nice bottle of wine while relaxing outside with a roaring fire is one of the best ways to wind up a long day. Creating an outdoor space to focus on you is going to be one big trend going forward.
10) Making a notable first impression: The entrance to your home is the first and often the most lasting impression friends and family will get when visiting. Many homeowners are investing in landscaping combined with hardscaping to make that impression a good one.
11) Including unexpected elements in your arrangements: Get creative! A café table set next to a lily pond, a lighted stone bridge leading to a welcoming sitting area, a tall urn fountain – these unexpected features will wow visitors and sooth the soul.
12) Including food in landscapes of all sizes: When planning your landscaping, include plants that provide food, cover and water for wildlife. This will ensure a lively and thriving garden while providing much-needed habitat restoration.
13) Giving back with gardens: The ‘Giving Garden’ is trending as a way to give back to the community. Many organizations are encouraging the giving garden as a way to foster sustainable community values while making an immediate impact on food security.
14) Investing in furniture that lasts: Outdoor furniture is subject to many abusive natural elements, such as the sun’s rays, high winds, pelting rains and sleet. Many homeowners are looking for more durable and sustainable features in outdoor furniture, such as concrete, stainless steel, synthetic wicker or teak furniture, which is a dense, close-grained hardwood with a natural oil content that makes if resistant to the elements.
15) Pergolas: A pergola can provide protection from direct sunlight, yet allow air to circulate freely. This makes them a welcome respite from the harsh rays of the afternoon sun. Making a pergola the perfect feature of an outdoor living space.
16) Pink hues Pink promises to be the most popular hue in landscaping this year. Picture a lovely English garden on a sunny spring day. Expect to see a lot of pink hued knockout roses, delphinium, carnations, dogwoods, hydrangea, foxglove and petunias.
17) Metals: Metal landscape edging, corrugated metal sculptures or tall privacy screens are finding a niche in the landscapes of today. Metal is durable and weathers well, why hasn’t this become a ‘thing’ much sooner?
DiSabatino Landscaping is Delaware’s #1 Hardscape and Landscape Specialist. We can help build a outdoor fireplace or fire pit to keep you warm over the winter months ahead. Give us a call today! 302-764-0408
Properly preparing your hard outdoor surfaces serves to protect and extend their life span, saving you money and time. With that in mind, check out our suggested tip on preparing your patio for winter.
5 Tips for Preparing your Patio for Winter:
- Sweep and wash off debris and leaves to prevent stains on your patios and walkways (
- Fill any gaps in the joints with cement or polysand
- Seal all masonry patios, driveways and walkways to prevent the ice and salt from damaging them
- Ensure that the edges of your patio are backfilled (no soil erosion) to prevent water from pooling and freezing up to and under the patio causing the stone or pavers to lift
- Ensure all gutters and downspouts are clear, properly sealed and directed away from masonry surfaces in order to avoid freeze or chip from the ice
Ultimately, spending the time and effort to keep your patio and other masonry surfaces looking their best will keep you from early replacement and will help to maintain your home’s future resale value.
DiSabatino Landscaping is Delaware’s #1 Hardscape and Landscape Specialist. We can help get your landscape ready to face the winter months ahead. Give us a call today! 302-764-0408
Are you looking to add a new room to your home? If so, have you utilized the entire square footage of you home? Why pay for expensive additions when you could make the best use of space that already exists?
Many homeowners who determine they need more space to create entertainment centers, gyms, game rooms or a home office fail to consider their basements as a viable option. Most homeowners use their sizable basements for little more than a junk room or storage area.
Sure basements tend to be more damp and darker than other areas of the home. That should not deter you from considering customizing your basement to add value and livability to your home.
While basement renovations require some specific tactics to avoid mold and mildew from growing, if you work with an experienced professional design expert you could actually improve your home’s energy efficiency!
Unfinished basements are an energy drain because they lack the proper insulation and often siphon off the heat or air conditioning from the living areas of the home. Once properly renovated, a basement can help maintain moderate temperatures in your home by reducing leaks.
The fantastic acoustics of underground space makes a basement a great space for an entertainment center. Many homeowners choose to combine a number of options when committing to a basement renovation.
At DiSabatino Landscaping & Design, we have taken our outdoor design expertise indoors to expertly finish and utilize every inch of basement space in order to create inviting and unique custom basement renovations for our happy clientele.
Check out the beautiful brickwork, inventive ceiling with dark ceiling tiles with inset lighting and gorgeous wood flooring. Make note of the flow of space from the custom bar to the game room to the entertainment center.
Imagine how your guests will be at ease and duly impressed when you invite them over for happy hour, game night or to watch a sports event in your state-of-the-art theater room. A fully customized basement renovation can make entertaining easy peasy!
Whether it is a home office, game room, entertainment center or home gym, we can create a comfortable living area where your family will love spending time!
Transform your unfinished or previously finished basement into a healthier, comfortable living area in no time!
Check out our finished basement pictures for great examples and basement remodeling ideas! And when you’re ready, contact us for a free basement finishing consultation and quote.
If you’re interested in talking with one our design experts regarding a custom basement renovation, call us at 302-764-0408 – email us at email@example.com or fill out the form on our architectural design page.
Spring is the time our customers start thinking about installing a new deck or patio. A patio or outdoor living area is becoming a popular element for extending a home’s square footage and makes for spectacular entertaining.
Before starting a hardscaping project, it is wise to research the various options and materials available. It is best to look for materials that are safe and blend or contrast nicely with your home and surrounding landscape.
There is a wide variety of materials to choose from, and each has their own benefit. Some of the considerations to make when choosing your material are longevity, aesthetics, install method, maintenance, and cost. Our customers come to us with a variety of different needs and we wish to make the choices as clear and simple as possible:
Natural stone (typically referred to as flagstone or slate) is a very attractive material that holds up well to the elements. The color does not fade as much as many manufactured products and has a unique appeal. Someone who values a classic or rustic aesthetic might choose this product. It can be installed both with cement and polymeric sand joints. Versatility and looks make this material a great selection for any property.
Keep in mind that natural stone typically costs more because it has to be trucked in from a quarry. It can also take more time to install, hence upping your labor cost.
Concrete Pavers are the most popular recent addition to our material pallet. They are more cost effective than natural stone, yet still offer a similar aesthetic. There are a vast number of shapes, sizes, and colors available. It is important to do your research when determining which paver you will install in your yard. Not all manufacturers are alike.
While the material itself if more cost effective, the install is also easier due to their uniformity & therefore are more wallet friendly. This does not come without drawbacks however. You will need to be more mindful in terms of maintenance if you want your patio to keep its original luster if you choose this material. Polymeric sand joints need repaired every 3-5 years so that weeds do not grow in, and sealers can help to reduce the fading that occurs over time.
Decorative Concrete is an old concept that has benefited from new install techniques in the past couple of decades. Options range from brushed finish (typical sidewalks) and exposed aggregate (tiny pebbles) to stamped concrete with synthetic designs printed onto them.
If you are not in love with man-made looking products this may not be for you. However, it is a highly durable and cost effective option that does not need a ton of maintenance.
At the end of the day, your patio must fit your family’s needs. It is important you know what you are committing to with whichever material or method you decide to go with and that you have a reputable installer to assist you with the process.
DiSabatino Landscaping is Delaware’s #1 Hardscape and Landscape Specialist. We can design an outdoor living environment that will add quality to your life and value to your home. Give us a call today! 302-764-0480
DiSabatino Landscaping builds beautiful pergolas integrated expertly with custom designed patios and decks.A pergola can provide protection from direct sunlight, yet allow for air to circulate freely. This makes them a welcome respite from the harsh rays of the afternoon sun. Making them a perfect feature of an outdoor living space.
Check out this charming outdoor space that DiSabatino’s creative hardscape architects designed and installed for the Heald Property in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania. Notice the various gathering places, such as the awesome fire pit adjacent to the Italian Renaissance style pergola. Perfect for outdoor entertainment and enjoyment.
DiSabatino Landscaping of Delaware has built a stellar reputation for quality custom hardscape designs in the Delaware area. This example above shows how we can convert a aged and stained brick patio can be converted to a beautiful slate patio edged superbly with red brick.
Check Out This Brick Edged Slate Patio Design by DiSabatino Landscaping in Delaware
Note the excellent use of space and the professional way in which the designers meld this outdoor space to reflect the nature of the home’s design. Creating an outdoor living space increases the square footage of your home and increase its value and curb appeal.